Performer Call Out for “Special”
A Different Way is a project led by Daryl Beeton Productions, with core partners Half Moon Theatre, Spark Arts for Children, New Wolsey Theatre and Mimbre with supporting partners Graeae Theatre Company, Attenborough Arts Centre and TYA UK, to support the growth of inclusive theatre for young audiences. A Different Way will see the company research and develop three new shows for different age groups, delving into the nuances of access and inclusion in meaningful and entertaining ways
How do we navigate the use language in today’s changing society? Join three characters, with three different views, as they try to figure it out. It may not be nice, it will be messy… but it’s definitely real.
“Special” is a new show aimed at young people aged 14+ that explores ‘language and identity’ from the view point of Disabled and non-disabled young people. The project is led by Daryl Beeton, in partnership with The New Wolsey Theatre Ipswich & Half Moon Theatre.
During this period of R&D we will work together to develop the characters and working towards a ‘script in hand’ sharing at the A Different Way Symposium. Directed by Nicola Miles-Wildin and written by Daryl Beeton with dramaturge support from Chris Elwell, Half Moon Theatre.
A Different Way Symposium:
Following the R&D period, we will hold 1 day of re-rehearsals, and then present the work in progress at the A Different Way Symposium at Attenborough Arts Centre on Wednesday 29th April 2020.
We are looking for three performers to join our R&D creative team:
1 x white male, non-Disabled performer
Playing age: 18 – 25 years old
2 x Disabled Performers (we are particularly keen to hear from Disabled performers of colour for these roles)
Playing age: 18 – 25 years old
All performers will require the following skills / experience:
- Experience of working on new writing and devising
- Experience in promenade work
- A collaborative and exploratory working approach
- A willingness to travel to Ipswich and Leicester
Dates – 2019:
- Monday 30th March – Friday 3rd April 2020, Creative R&D, Ipswich (5 days)
- Either 23rd, 24th or 25th April, Re-rehearsal, Location TBC (1 day)
- Wednesday 29th April 2020, A Different Way Symposium, Leicester (1 day)
Fee: All fee’s are in line with Equity/ITC rates
- Weekly Salary £500 + Travel – for period Monday 30th March – Friday 3rd April 2020
- Relocation fee £105 – if required for Monday 30th March – Friday 3rd April 2020
- Per-diems £126 – for period Monday 30th March – Friday 3rd April 2020
- Re-Rehearsals £150 a day + Per-diems (if required)
- + Re-Rehearsal travel and accommodation (if required)
Application deadline: Friday 21st February 2020
Group Audition: Saturday 29th February 2020, taking place in London
Please send a CV or similar to email@example.com together with two short examples of previous work, or a show real (please provide links where possible)
Inclusion is at the heart of everything Daryl Beeton Productions exists to achieve and we particularly encourage BAME applicants.